Sunday 6 February 2011

Week Two - Fox Maquette - Part One

This week I started work on making the maquette of the Fox.

I started out by plotting out the armature on some paper, taking great care in getting the measurements and angles right. From there I then drew out an outline of the foxes body, making sure that all the armature will be covered and areas around the joins won't be too thick, but not so thin the armature will poke/tear through the foam latex.


With the outline plotted out began sculpting up one half of the fox directly onto the paper, that way I can get the size of the fox just right. Beneath the plasticine I constructed a simple wire armature that is the same size as the actually armature to hold it all together.

Once the first half of the maquette had been sculpted I carefully removed the paper and began padding out the second half.

                        

The tail was removed from the sculpt I will be making and casting this separately to avoid the chance of any unnecessary air bubbles during the foam latex process. It will also mean if the tail does fail, I just have to cast that up again, not the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment