Sunday 6 February 2011

Week Two - Special Delivery

I got a present this week off my mum, an old field surgeons kit (from the 40's/50's) which I was apparently meant to use for sculpting. However, after opening it, I found wrapped up in old wadding needles, to go with the syringe...

I corked the needles so the keep them safe from breaking and also to prevent anyone stabbing themselves (ie: me). I then put the rest of the tools in a bath of bleach to clean them up.


 

After a couple of washes in bleach and boiling water rehydrated blood began seeping out of all the small gaps were the scalpel blades joined the handle and on the biopsy tools (don't know the name of everything in there just yet).

                       

There is also old dried blood splattered all over the tool wrap itself, so needless to say I won't be using these for sculpting, they'll just remain in my very small collection of medical equipment. I am hoping to get a Victorian surgeons kit soon, in a wooden box with a few bone saws and a Liston knife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment