Sunday 3 April 2011

130311 - Painting the Fox pt1

To paint the fox I decided that it would be best to use liquid latex. This meant the paint would stick to the foam nicely and it would also stretch with the joints and not crack, like just plain acrylic would.


I first tried a few mixes using liquid latex and acrylic paint, but they never seemed to work properly and would snap way too soon on the joints meaning repairs would be constant.

I then tried using latex pigment, by first mixing up the colour, exactly how I wanted it and the mixing it thoroughly into the latex. Because of the ammonia in the latex it turned a salmon pink, rather than orange I mixed up.

However, once the latex had dried it turned a rusty orange (exactly the same colour I made using the pigment). It also snapped at roughly the same time as the foam latex and stretched nicely without distorting or cracking in anyway.



The fox was given 2 light coats of the orange latex and left to dry, which took around 2 hours per coat.



At this point I am very pleased with the outcome and think the fox will work out very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment